Thursday, November 11, 2010

Epilepsy Awareness month and an interesting point

This is Epilepsy Awareness Month. So I was posting the link to my fb profile while V was reading next to me. As I included the link, I put in a comment saying that I hope that there is a cure sometime. He was reading what I was writing which I didn't realise and he then added after I put in the comment, "Me too". That was so very touching - this is something he thinks about and wants but has never openly expressed it until this time.
Basically, he and I have talked quite a bit about why he needs a restricted diet, the consequences, when he was on medication and why, etc. He once said to me about a month or two ago - I wish I was not this way, I wish I was like the other kids being able to eat anything and it did break my heart but he did it in a very practical way.
His tenth birthday is coming up. He was checking with me what treats he should take to his class. We went through a few options. At one of the options he said that once a girl brought those treats in and everyone except him could eat it (his class has other kids with dietary allergies and restrictions); he said it without remorse, without desire. It was simply remarkable. He hadn't even felt bad about it or I would heard about it that evening at home.
Something similar happened at a birthday party two weeks ago. This friend of mine said to me that he was absolutely amazed at V's ability to refrain from treats and that his maturity on that aspect was impressive. So, even though it might feel like he is being denied and deprived, he really knows the consequences, is able to understand them and knows that we are doing what is best for him. It is something I can really learn from.

11 comments:

Lisa said...

Yeah I find the hardest is knowing what I can eat and how much I can even though sometimes I just want to be able to eat anything I want. It's amazing all the things we have to look after.

Team Epilepsy said...

Hi Everyone. We work for a company that is dedicated to letting people know about opportunities to participate in clinical research studies. We are currently working with doctors across the US to find people who have partial onset seizures that are not controlled through their current medications. If you want to learn more, visit www.seizureclinicalstudy.net . If you’re not familiar with clinical studies, there are a lot of resources out there that can explain the process more in-depth, one of which is http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/info/understand .

hernia surgery Los Angeles said...

It is very nice to be exchanging thoughts and helping yourself learn from others experiences.These are hat=rd crisis illnesses and they need support and fellow feeling.

Eric Strandberg Edina said...

as a HS student with epilepsy things can be a challenge. but epilepsy has rules - and gotta' play by them. sometimes easier said than done. i was embarrassed by my condition at first, but people are more understanding that i thought they would be. thanks to all my friends. and thanks to everyone with epilepsy to help keeping me moving forward.

eric strandberg, edina

ericsteeves1980gmail said...

That was so touching story. A desire of happiness will be achieved if he thinks of it. Just show to her your love and support. God bless! linden method

ericsteeves1980gmail said...

Great! Thanks! linden method

Anonymous said...

Lyrica Generic is used to control seizures and to treat fibromyalgia. It is also used to treat pain caused by nerve damage in people with diabetes diabetic neuropathy, herpes zoster (post-herpetic neuralgia, or neuropathic pain associated with spinal cord injury.

Epilepsy Treatment said...

Pregabalin is an anticonvulsant (anti-seizure) drug that is often used to treat neuropathic pain as well as partial seizures that are common in temporal lobe epilepsy. In Europe, Lasix generic is also approved to treat generalized anxiety disorder.

Maggie Danhakl said...

Hi Smita,

I hope all is well with you. Healthline just published an infographic detailing the effects of epilepsy on the body. This is an interactive chart allowing the reader to pick the side effect they want to learn more about.

You can see the overview of the report here: http://www.healthline.com/health/epilepsy/effects-on-body

Our users have found our guide very useful and I thought it would be a great resource for your page: http://welivewithepilepsy.blogspot.in/2010/11/epilepsy-awareness-month-and.html


I would appreciate it if you could review our request and consider adding this visual representation of the effects of epilepsy to your site or sharing it on your social media feeds.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

All the best,
Maggie Danhakl • Assistant Marketing Manager

Healthline • The Power of Intelligent Health
660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
www.healthline.com | @Healthline | @HealthlineCorp

About Us: corp.healthline.com

maggie.danhakl@healthline.com said...

Hi,

I hope all is well with you. Healthline just published an infographic detailing the effects of epilepsy on the body. This is an interactive chart allowing the reader to pick the side effect they want to learn more about.

You can see the overview of the report here: http://www.healthline.com/health/epilepsy/effects-on-body

Our users have found our guide very useful and I thought it would be a great resource for your page: http://welivewithepilepsy.blogspot.com/2010/11/epilepsy-awareness-month-and.html

I would appreciate it if you could review our request and consider adding this visual representation of the effects of epilepsy to your site or sharing it on your social media feeds.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

All the best,
Maggie Danhakl • Assistant Marketing Manager

Healthline • The Power of Intelligent Health
660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
www.healthline.com | @Healthline | @HealthlineCorp

About Us: corp.healthline.com

Aaron Foster said...

NATURAL & EFFECTIVE TREATMENT TO SEIZURE (EPILEPSY): Our son has temporal lobe epilepsy, He has seizure and had a grand mal with rage episode (8 men to hold him down), Our son's seizure is constant throughout the day according to EEG results. We had used several medicine which include: 600 Epilem 100 topolex 150 Epitec X2 Daily Dopoquel and cilift, Keppra, Topomax lasted for about 3 days, but I put an end to that due to my son losing weight and being lethargic. I recently got a natural medicine that handle Epilepsy with no side effect. It is an herbal medicine. William Herbal Product is the only effective treatment I have ever used.
Note: There is no cure for epilepsy yet but effective treatment of Epilepsy is available. for more info, contact Dr.William with this Email: drwilly37@gmail.com