Thursday, July 24, 2008

Regression at the end of 2005

In December of 2005, we didn't go anywhere on vacation. Right before the break, I had decided to talk to my daughter's principal to let her know V's case and that we hadn't decided where he should eventually attend school but that we were going to register him for the same school. She is another of my favorite persons. I have really high regard for her. She also has this way about her that when I started talking, I didn't really talk. I couldn't. I just broke down. She then told me one thing which has stuck with me right through and it comes to my mind even as I now teach. She said – if you come to us trusting us, and telling us the truth, the issues proactively, the teachers will welcome you with open arms and you can work together to help your child succeed – that is so very true as I see him moving ahead now to second grade. It is also true as I deal with other parents' children.

            We had visitors home – first my cousin and family, then my husband's cousin and wife(by then they had moved to the East Coast). V was of course, very excited. During my cousin's visit, his regression started. All of a sudden, he was having several seizures. We couldn't pinpoint the cause. The regression continued and got worse when my husband's cousin was around and even though V was so thrilled to have them over and he had a great birthday with them around, he was having these eyebrow twitches every second. The daycare/preschool had reopened but I had decided not to send him; I was at a complete loss.

            I had started with my credential program the previous January, first part time, then done full time with student teaching. I had to go on to doing something or I would just sit and wonder what was going on with V and it wasn't helping anybody then. I had to start student teaching in the school right across from the daycare – with someone I would grow to respect  and like tremendously – but how could I do anything with this regression? After all, things were supposed to get better, not worse.

            On the second day after the preschool had opened, V said he wanted to go in for a bit. I dropped him for a couple of hours dreading it the entire time but he was so happy to be back there. When I picked him up the end of the two hours, he was not doing any better seizure wise, but mentally yes, having spent a really happy two hours.

            About two days later, his seizures started getting back to the same level they were a couple of days back – way more in control – and he was able to start back to his routine of daycare/preschool and the district special day class.

            In just seven months he was to start with kindergarten. How was it going to work? Somehow, could I get his seizures to stop? 

No comments: